I have heard people talking about Linux and compare it with Windows. I regularly hear these statements:
- Its Command Prompt that makes Linux special.
- If you can work with linux you can work with any OS.
- Linux is smart since its case sensitive when it comes to commands and directory/file names.
- One can do 'this' with/in Linux but not with/in Windows.
- Windows is for dumb users
- Windows is Dumb!
- etc etc
Well, let me ask you a few questions:
- In this era of advanced User Interface Design do you really want to work all time with command prompt? I agree its fancy sometimes, but all times?
- This is the time of surface technology, LCDs and touch-screens you still want to sit and type commands instead of using the advanced GUI features?
- Do you really know Windows well - when you put up claims that 'This can't be done in/with Windows'?
- Do you not understand that Windows and Linux are simply two different ideologies?
- If everything is same on Linux and Windows would you not complain that Windows has copied from Linux?
- Does an average user care about how exactly the command works? Just like these days we use IDEs (Integrated Development Environment) instead of the command line compilers and debuggers, what's wrong in using a full featured GUI provided by Windows?
- Would you say that people should begin everything from scratch - lets say for example websites instead of using templates and/or tools like Wordpress?
- People who do not have much idea about windows.
- People who do not like to pay for software and/or Operating System.
- People who just want to promote Linux(for their own benefit) and the best way to do that it so criticize windows.
- People who feel more comfortable with command prompt and traditional computing facilities and are either afraid or reluctant to explore the new world.
So my dear friends let me make it very clear that Almost everything you do in linux you can do equally efficiently in Windows!
I've decided to post a series of blog-posts on the same. Stay tuned and you'll see for yourself how things can be done, how windows have made everything look so simple and how beautiful windows really is!